Tuesday 24 November 2015

The Details

Despite the issues I've been having with my prosthetic piece Ive been planning how I want to makeup the piece to make it look more realistic.
After researching burns and branding I have found that a lot of branding scars heal to to a pinkish-red colour but I feel that is a bit too simplistic for the level of prosthetic I would like to be marked on, therefore I have decided to makeup the burn as if it were in the healing process. When looking at images of this I have found that often burns scab over with areas being a dark, almost black colour, other sections can be yellow (often where there is puss or some type of infection in the skin) and then other sections a deep red colour. 
To achieve this I'm going to use my 'Key Colours Flesh Tones Alcohol Activated Palette'.


In order to gain some practise with the alcohol activated palette, I decided to practise on one of the two prosthetic pieces that went wrong previously. I mixed together the 'wheat' and 'flesh' coloured palettes to go over the piece to help it blend in further with the models skin tone. I then used the 'dark flesh' tone on the numbers to make them stand out and emphasise how they are burnt skin, as well as using the 'bark' tone in places on the numbers to give the piece some dimension - showing some scabbing and deeper parts of the burn. In addition to this I also used the 'red adjuster' tone on pat of the numbers as well as areas of the flat part of the prosthetic to help make the wound look sore and more realistic. The final thing I did whilst practising was use 'D1' from the 'Dermacolor Camouflage Make-up' palette on small areas of the prosthetic piece to show infection (i.e puss).

EVALUATION
Overall I think the colours from the palettes work well together and are effective in portraying the sort of look I want to achieve when trying to produce a healing burn. However I do feel that in my practise shown above, the colours are quite bold and blocked so when conducting my shoot I will ensure that I blend the colours together a lot better in order to make the whole piece more realistic and believable. Also I am expecting the final prosthetic I use in my final shots to be a lot smoother without all the wholes from air bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment