Sunday 29 November 2015

Making the Prosthetic - Technical Folder





When it came to making the gills for my hybrid unlike my previous attempts to make the a prosthetic for the wound project, everything went smoothly. I decided I was only going to make one set of gills for my hybrid as the model was going to have half her body fish like and the other side completely human. When I began making the clay mould I decided to make two so I could make 2 prosthetics at a time so I was covered if anything went wrong with one of them. After nearly running out of time with my wound prosthetic I thought I'd learn from this and avoid any excess stress I could possibly cause myself. 
This worked out great as when I released my moulds I was a lot happier with one of them than the other, so decided to use this one to make my prosthetic. As I have done quite a few times before, I mixed all the necessary chemicals, added the pigment I thought would match my models skin best, poured the mixture into the mould and left it to set. 
As I had a whole 4 hour session to create my prosthetic as my model was not coming to shoot the hybrid till the following week, I had plenty of time to leave my prosthetic to set and then also remove it from the mould to make sure it turned out well so I could make another one if it went wrong.
This level of organisation proved to work a lot better for me and meant everything went smoothly. 
After 90 minutes my prosthetic had set and, using talcum powder I eased it from the mould. The prosthetic looked exactly as I had imagined and wanted it to look and the layer of super-baldiez was overly sufficient and even around the edges of the piece. 
Overall the process for making my hybrid prosthetic was very straightforward and successful, which I was very pleased about. I am really happy with my gills prosthetic and can not wait to fit it and shoot my hybrid as a whole next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment